NEW YORK — The Brooklyn McDonald’s worker shot point-blank in a flap over cold french fries has died, police said Friday.
Matthew Webb, 23, brain dead following the Monday night shooting, had been on life support at Brookdale Hospital.
The suspect, Michael Morgan, 20, accused of shooting the fast-food worker in the face because he was mad about how the restaurant handled his mother’s fry order, is expected to be charged with murder.
“The people are anticipating homicide charges in this case, given the victim is currently on life support,” Assistant District Attorney Luis Paternina said at Morgan’s Thursday arraignment, apparently unaware Webb had already died. “So, essentially, the victim’s family is waiting to make a difficult decision about taking the victim off life support.”
Morgan, 20, was initially charged with attempted murder in Webb’s shooting, and with murder, for a 2020 shooting he confessed to after his arrest, authorities said.
Morgan tried to cover up his most recent crime, disposing of evidence that included the clothes he wore when pulling the trigger, Paternina charged.
The shooting happened when Morgan showed up the McDonald’s on Fulton St. in Bedford-Stuyvesant after hearing his mother’s complaints about cold fries during a FaceTime chat between the two, according to authorities.
Video surveillance showed Morgan punching Webb in the face, knocking the worker to the ground before pulling the weapon and pumping a bullet into the victim’s neck on the sidewalk outside the McDonald’s, authorities said.
Morgan admitted to getting the gun from a friend in his apartment building, Paternina said.
Parternina said Morgan’s girlfriend, 18-year-old Camellia Dunlap, admitted in a videotaped interview to handing him the weapon. Dunlap was arrested alongside Morgan inside the accused shooter’s home.
“She was holding the gun for him,” said Paternina.
Dunlap, who was charged with felony weapon possession, was ordered held on $50,000 cash bail.
Her lawyer, Beth Calcaterra of the Legal Aid Society, said she lives with her grandmother — who was present at the arraignment — and her 2-year-old child. Calcaterra asked for her release without bail, saying that Dunlap was worried about the tot’s well-being because the child wouldn’t understand her absence.
Her grandmother and another relative, who watched the proceeding, declined comment afterward.
The previous murder that Morgan confessed to occurred on Oct. 21, 2020, just six blocks from the McDonald’s where he shot Webb. The victim Kevin Holloman, 28, was not Morgan’s intended target, the prosecutor said.
Holloman had the misfortune of hanging out with his cousin — who had a beef with Morgan — and others around 9:30 p.m. outside an apartment building on Herkimer St. near Rochester Ave., authorities said., when Morgan allegedly opened fire.
The cousin and Morgan had clashed two days prior. When the cousin took out a knife to prepare to roll a blunt, a man in the group asked if he was going to “start something,” Paternina said.
The argument escalated to the point where Morgan opened fire, the prosecutor said.
The cousin escaped injury, but Hollomon was fatally struck by three bullets.
©2022 New York Daily News. Visit at nydailynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.