A Fayette County man arrested Monday and charged with robbing a Raleigh County bank has a long history of violence and illegal use of firearms, and was charged in the 1979 shooting of a Raleigh sheriff’s deputy, according to the Raleigh Sheriff’s Department and Register-Herald newspaper archives.

Gary A. Kincaid, 57, of Minden, fought a State Police trooper Monday while a gun was in his hand and threatened to detonate what turned out to be a fake bomb inside the Chase Bank branch in Beaver. He was eventually taken into custody and charged with two counts of first-degree robbery, wanton endangerment, grand larceny and use of a hoax bomb in commission of a felony, according to the sheriff’s department.

On June 24, 1979, Kincaid was one of three men arrested in connection with the shooting of Deputy Joe Williams, according to Beckley Newspapers’ archives.

In the 1979 incident, Sheriff Steve Tanner said, Gary Kincaid, his brother Danny Lee Kincaid and Darrell Lee Coffman were allegedly attempting to break into a vehicle in the Sprague area when spotted by two deputies.

“When the deputies exited their vehicle, they came under heavy gun fire from all three suspects,” Tanner said. “One deputy was shot in the head and the other was not hit.”

The 1979 shooting touched off a police manhunt in the Canterbury and Rural Acres drives area. The men were allegedly armed with pistols and a rifle or shotgun, according to newspaper archive reports. They were captured within a few days of the shooting, at which time police said they also found remains of homemade grenades in the men’s possession.

Williams made a full recovery, according to Tanner.

Kincaid apparently served no time for the incident. Court records obtained by The Register-Herald indicate that charges were dismissed in June 1981 “for failure of the State of West Virginia to prosecute the defendant within three terms of the court.”

Tanner said Kincaid gave consent to search his Minden home after his arrest Monday.

“We recovered several additional firearms in Kincaid’s home,” Tanner said.

Tanner said the investigation is ongoing and declined to say if additional charges would be filed against Kincaid.

Kincaid was being held at Southern Regional Jail in lieu of a $250,000 bond.

— E-mail: fpace@register-herald.com

React to this story:


Trending Video