1. Oak Hill (25) — A win over Point Pleasant was convincing. The Red Devils (5-1) begin a four-game road streak Friday at Lewis County.
2. Woodrow Wilson (20) — The Flying Eagles (4-3) didn’t quite have enough to beat Huntington. They will host Parkersburg Friday.
3. Greenbrier East (14) — The Spartans (2-4) walloped host Nitro. They will welcome Hurricane to town on Friday.
4. Shady Spring (11) — The Tigers took to the ground to beat James Monroe. Up next is a trip to dangerous Wyoming East Friday.
5. Princeton (5) — The Tigers (1-7) beat St. Albans for their first win under coach Randy Peek. They will go to Spring Valley Friday.
1. Bluefield (25) — The Beavers (5-1) dominated River View. They will travel to Westside Friday.
2. Wyoming East (20) — The Warriors (5-2) had no trouble with PikeView. A visit from AAA Shady Spring is next.
3. River View (11) — The Raiders (4-3) will take a week off before hosting Nicholas County Oct. 19.
4. Westside (10) — The Renegades (4-3) survived a shootout with Tug Valley. A tough matchup with Bluefield awaits.
5. Webster County (5) — The Highlanders (4-3) make their debut to the rankings before Friday’s game against Greenbrier West.
1. Greenbrier West (23) — The Cavaliers (6-1) destroyed Pocahontas County. They have another tough trip to Upper Glade.
2. Valley (22) — The Greyhounds (6-0) narrowed the gap after a win over Pendleton County. Up next is a Saturday trip to Parkersburg Catholic.
3. Meadow Bridge (15) — Grundy, Va., was no match for the Wildcats (6-1). They will host Summers County Friday.
4. Midland Trail (8) — The Patriots (4-3) took a hit at Clay County. They are idle this week before an Oct. 19 home game versus Hannan.
5. Richwood (4) — The Lumberjacks (3-4) are back after throttling Tygarts Valley. They will go to Valley Oct. 19.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), Cody Lewis (sports copy editor) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five teams in each class. Teams received five points for a first place vote, four for a second place vote and on down to one. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.
- Today's Sports Front
First the title, then the prom
The prom could wait.
Beckley Newspapers Memorial Golf Classic to honor Holland
Andy Holland won’t be on the golf course when the 33rd Beckley Newspapers Memorial Golf Classic begins this July, but that doesn’t mean his presence won’t be felt.
King’s Warriors take down Chaos 3-1
Southern West Virginia King’s Warriors head coach Scott Reitnour had a busy day Saturday.
Coleman's bunt lifts Valley
Limited offensively this season because of a hand injury, Todd Coleman took advantage of an opportunity Saturday afternoon.
Houstin? No problem
Houstin Syvertson is a man of many names.
Justice hopeful of Mickelson’s return
While speaking at a banquet at TPC Sawgrass in Florida for a Birdies for the Brave event he hosted with his wife, Kathy, and Phil and Amy Mickelson this winter, Greenbrier owner Jim Justice joked with golf’s most famous left-hander about his struggles the last two years at The Greenbrier Classic.
- Wallace a willing BMP visitor
Princeton win marred by controversy
Locked in a 1-1 tie with Greenbrier East in the Class Region 3, Section 2 baseball final Friday night at Spartan Ballpark, Princeton was looking for a spark to overcome the Spartans’ home field advantage.
After early scare, Woodrow advances
Give first year Red Devils coach Chad Quesenberry a lot of credit. After opening up the sectional series with a loss to Shady Spring over a week ago, his Oak Hill squad would have to win three straight in order to advance to next week’s regional semifinals.
Wickline fires one-hitter; Mavericks move on to states
Putting their nervousness behind them, the James Monroe Lady Mavericks earned their first state playoff berth in softball in 16 years with a 6-2 victory over Westside Thursday evening in the Class AA, Region 3 title game in Lindside.
- More Today's Sports Front Headlines
- First the title, then the prom