1) Oak Hill (25) — The Red Devils (4-0) stayed perfect with their third road win of the season, this one at Buckhannon-Upshur. They'll put that mark on the line at Shady Spring on Friday.
2) Woodrow Wilson (20) — The Flying Eagles (2-2) got back on track following a loss to Huntington and an off week with a lopsided win over Riverside. They'll be at Cabell Midland on Friday.
3) Princeton (14) — The Tigers (2-3) lost their third straight, this one at home against Spring Valley. They'll try to get back on track when they host George Washington on Friday.
4) Greenbrier East (11) — A two-game winning streak ended for the Spartans (3-2) with a 57-18 home loss to Bluefield. They face another tough test Friday at home against University.
5) Shady Spring (5) — A week after breaking into the win column by beating Independence, the Tigers (1-4) weren't so fortunate at PikeView. They'll host Oak Hill on Friday.
1) Bluefield (24) — The Beavers (3-1) pounded Greenbrier East and have won their last two games by a combined 118-25. Up next is a home meeting with Richlands (Va.) on Friday.
2) Summers County (21) — For the second week in a row, the Bobcats (5-0) knocked off another undefeated. This time it was Greenbrier West. They'll be at Covington (Va.) Friday.
3) Wyoming East (12) — The Warriors (4-1) rebounded from their first loss by beating Mount View 48-22. They'll be at River View on Friday looking for their fifth win of the season.
T3) Nicholas County (12) — The Grizzlies (3-2) were impressive in a blowout win over Clay County on Friday. They'll host Robert C. Byrd in a big game Friday in Summersville.
5) River View (3) — A nailbiting win over James Monroe improved the Raiders (3-1) confidence. They'll face perhaps their toughest test of the season on Friday when they host Wyoming East.
1) Greenbrier West (25) — The Cavaliers (4-1) suffered their first loss at Summers County, but they were in a battle with the Class AA power. This week West will be at PikeView on Friday.
2) Meadow Bridge (20) — A perfect season remained alive for the Wildcats (5-0) with a win at Pendleton County. Up next is a battle of undefeated teams when they play at Valley on Friday.
3) Valley (15) — The Greyhounds (4-0) held off a solid threat from Fayetteville to stay undefeated, but they'll need to bring their best again on Friday when Meadow Bridge comes to town.
4) Fayetteville (9) — A two-game losing streak has the Pirates (2-3) back below .500 but they've played some good teams. They'll see another one on Friday when they host Man.
5) Midland Trail (6) — The Patriots (2-3) have won two straight, including a 33-13 win over Van most recently. Trail will take this week off before hosting Clay County on Friday.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), J. Daniel Rollins (sports writer) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five area teams in each class based on their performances over the first five weeks and their potential the rest of the way. Teams received five points for a first-place vote, four for a second-place vote and on down to one for a fifth-place vote. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.
- Today's Sports Front
Boatwright named all-state defensive captain
With all the attention Malik Boatwright gets as an offensive force for Greenbrier West, it can be easy to forget how good he is on defense.
Holliday, Edsall are familiar
Marshall and Maryland might never have faced each other before, but the head coaches are no strangers.
Mountaineer QB room gets more crowded with JUCO commit
Just because the West Virginia University football season ended with a disappointing 4-8 finish doesn’t mean the quarterback competition, which dominated the conversation throughout the fall, is over.
Cavalier effort not enough
Greenbrier West’s defense has stopped nearly everything it’s seen all season.
6 champs for Shady in BNI win
This time, there was no narrow loss for Shady Spring.
Herd ACC-epts Military Bowl bid
The Conference USA championship game didn’t turn out so well for Marshall, but the day wasn’t all bad.
Rice wins C-USA championship
Remembering the details of Rice’s previous outright conference championship is an exercise that would tax even the sharpest memory.
Cavs in Wheeling looking for Class A title
Greenbrier West isn’t new to the state championship game. The Cavaliers played Spencer for the Class AA football crown in 1991.
BNI kicks off wrestling season today for 7 teams
Independence got started Wednesday, but most area teams will open the wrestling season today.
North-South volleyball games to be played at Woodrow Sunday
Some of the best senior talent in West Virginia high school volleyball will converge on Beckley for the annual North-South All-Star Games, at noon Sunday at Woodrow Wilson High School.
- More Today's Sports Front Headlines
- Boatwright named all-state defensive captain