The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia

May 6, 2013

Traube completes Pittsburgh Marathon

From staff and wire reports

PITTSBURGH — Most people enter marathons with no thought of winning. Completing the race is the ultimate goal.

Dave Traube did exactly that.

Traube, a 2006 Woodrow Wilson graduate, finished the Pittsburgh Marathon in 4 hours and 4 minutes on Sunday. It was his first attempt at a marathon after competing in several 5Ks, 10Ks and half-marathons.

“My body is killing me!” Traube said in a text message.

Traube and friend Seth Sharp ran in the race and decided to use it as a chance to raise money for charity. They raised over $500 for Living Water International, which sends clean drinking water to nations all over the world.

The friends crossed the finish line together, which Traube said was difficult.

“(The marathon) was quite the mental battle,” he said. “The last three miles were torture.”

James Kirwa of Kenya won the race for the second straight year, amid heightened security following the Boston Marathon bombings and with a contingent of runners unable to finish the Boston race.

“It wasn’t intrusive or annoying in any way,” Traube said of security measures.

About three dozen participants in Sunday’s race were expected to be runners who had been unable to finish last month’s Boston Marathon. A marathon spokesman said the race’s sponsor was paying transportation and lodging costs to help the 37 runners participate.

Support for Boston was evident throughout, with runners sporting pro-Boston T-shirts. One runner crossed the finish line carrying a large American flag.

Pittsburgh police were aided by Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency staff and other area police departments in providing security. Police spokeswoman Diane Richard said a few people had received a few calls about people acting suspiciously, but they proved to be unfounded

Authorities said a runner collapsed and died during the half-marathon competition. Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Michael Huss said the 23-year-old man collapsed near paramedics at the 12-mile mark near Duquesne University. Officials said he was pronounced dead at UPMC Marcy Hospital. His name was not released. An autopsy by the Allegheny County coroner’s office was scheduled for today.

“This is a loss for the entire marathon family and our hearts and prayers go out to his family at this time,” race director Patrice Matamoros said on the marathon’s website.