Preparing to distribute toys to more than 4,000 children requires a lot of coordination. An aspect of that effort is counting, cleaning and repairing used toys.
The responsibility falls to Mac’s Toy Fund Vice President Pete Torrico, who says that so far this year, the number of used toys available is falling woefully short.
Each child who attends receives one used toy in addition to a new one.
Thursday he said that the collection to date has garnered only half of what is needed for the Dec. 15 distribution party.
Donations of used toys will continue through Monday at BJW Printing and Office Supplies, 3100 Robert C. Byrd Drive, today and Monday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Monday evening, Torrico and volunteers from Generation Beckley will conclude the toy prep.
In addition to used toys, Mac’s also needs monetary donations to pay for new toys, bikes and bike repairs and helmets, new coats, fruit, materials for hand-crafted toys and venue rental.
If you would like to donate a bike and need someone to pick it up, please call 304-252-3874 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The bike need not be in perfect condition; Boy Scouts of Troops 103 and 3 will make repairs.
Shady Spring High School cheerleaders are conducting a used coat drive.
The teens have placed large decorated boxes in businesses in Beckley, Beaver and Shady in which you can place donated coats.
New and used coats are being accepted for Mac’s Toy Fund at Chateaux Interiors in Beckley; Kroger at Beaver, Harper Road and Beckley Crossing; CVS in Beaver; Big Lots in Beckley; Chick-fil-A at Beckley Galleria; Family Coin Laundry; The Register-Herald; Walgreens in Beaver; Raleigh General Hospital; Chili’s in Beckley and all Shady Spring schools.
Following are the most recent donations to Mac’s Toy Fund’s 2012 fundraising drive:
- Ben and Mary Hopkins of Beckley, for grandchildren Ben, Miranda, Jon and Rosie, $50
- Anonymous, $20
- Carolyn Buzbee of Beckley, $50
- Louis and Margaret George of Beckley, $25
- Anonymous, in memory of Sula Soter, $50
- James Eddins of Beckley, in loving memory of mother and dad, sister and brother Mary, Sam, Beverly and Dean Eddins, $50
- Bill and Lynn O’Brien of Beckley, in honor of granddaughter Taylor O’Brien, who asked us to give rather than receive, $100
- Stephen and Elizabeth Curtis of Winston-Salem, N.C., in memory of John Barone, $20
- Gerald and Linda Neal of Crab Orchard, $25
Today’s total: $390
Total to date: $12,126.90
Send donations to:
Mac’s Toy Fund
P.O. Box 2398
Beckley, WV 25802