From Staff Reports
1. Oak Hill (25) — A win over Point Pleasant was convincing. The Red Devils (5-1) begin a four-game road streak Friday at Lewis County.
2. Woodrow Wilson (20) — The Flying Eagles (4-3) didn’t quite have enough to beat Huntington. They will host Parkersburg Friday.
3. Greenbrier East (14) — The Spartans (2-4) walloped host Nitro. They will welcome Hurricane to town on Friday.
4. Shady Spring (11) — The Tigers took to the ground to beat James Monroe. Up next is a trip to dangerous Wyoming East Friday.
5. Princeton (5) — The Tigers (1-7) beat St. Albans for their first win under coach Randy Peek. They will go to Spring Valley Friday.
1. Bluefield (25) — The Beavers (5-1) dominated River View. They will travel to Westside Friday.
2. Wyoming East (20) — The Warriors (5-2) had no trouble with PikeView. A visit from AAA Shady Spring is next.
3. River View (11) — The Raiders (4-3) will take a week off before hosting Nicholas County Oct. 19.
4. Westside (10) — The Renegades (4-3) survived a shootout with Tug Valley. A tough matchup with Bluefield awaits.
5. Webster County (5) — The Highlanders (4-3) make their debut to the rankings before Friday’s game against Greenbrier West.
1. Greenbrier West (23) — The Cavaliers (6-1) destroyed Pocahontas County. They have another tough trip to Upper Glade.
2. Valley (22) — The Greyhounds (6-0) narrowed the gap after a win over Pendleton County. Up next is a Saturday trip to Parkersburg Catholic.
3. Meadow Bridge (15) — Grundy, Va., was no match for the Wildcats (6-1). They will host Summers County Friday.
4. Midland Trail (8) — The Patriots (4-3) took a hit at Clay County. They are idle this week before an Oct. 19 home game versus Hannan.
5. Richwood (4) — The Lumberjacks (3-4) are back after throttling Tygarts Valley. They will go to Valley Oct. 19.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), Cody Lewis (sports copy editor) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five teams in each class. Teams received five points for a first place vote, four for a second place vote and on down to one. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.