1. Oak Hill (24) — The Red Devils (2-0) had a week off after opening with road victories at Elkins and Musselman. They'll host Nicholas County on Friday.
2. Princeton (21) — The Tigers (2-1) suffered their first loss in overtime at Capital. But they've already won as many as they did last year, and will look for more at Hurricane on Friday.
3. Woodrow WIlson (13) — The Flying Eagles (1-2) suddenly went quiet on offense against a strong Huntington defense. They'll have an off week to get things fixed before hosting Riverside on Sept. 27.
4. Greenbrier East (12) — The Spartans (2-1) bounced back from a loss to Woodrow by rolling over Shady Spring. Parry McCluer (Va.) will be in Fairlea on Friday.
5. Shady Spring (5) — The Tigers (0-3) got their first points of the season Friday against Greenbrier East but still lost by a wide margin. They'll be at rival Independence on Friday.
1. Bluefield (24) — The Beavers (1-1) were off last week after splitting rivalry games, beating Graham (Va.) and losing to Princeton. They'll host Gate City (Va.) on Friday.
2. Wyoming East (18) — The Warriors (3-0) continued to roll with a trouncing of Sherman. Up next is a battle of Class AA undefeateds on the road at Summers County on Friday.
3. Nicholas County (15) — The Grizzlies (2-1) have won two straight, beating Poca and East Fairmont after a loss to Greenbrier West in the opener. They'll be at Oak Hill on Friday.
4. Summers County (10) — The Bobcats (3-0) have beaten their first three opponents (PikeView, James Monroe and Grafton) by 27 combined points. They'll host Wyoming East on Friday.
5. River View (8) — The Raiders (2-0) have outscored opponents (Mount View and Buffalo) 82-16 in two games under new coach Gehrig Justice. Up next is a trip to Man on Friday.
1. Greenbrier West (25) — The Cavaliers (3-0) continued to roll, shutting out Class AA Independence. They've outscored opponents 107-7 this season and will be at Buffalo on Friday.
2. Meadow Bridge (18) — The Wildcats (3-0) have racked up 140 points in wins over Van, Tug Valley and Midland Trail. They'll host a red-hot Fayetteville team on Friday in a critical Class A showdown.
3. Valley (14) — The Greyhounds (2-0) came back from an early off week with a 40-20 win over Van. This week, Valley, and its defense which has given up just 28 points in two games, hosts Clay County on Friday.
4. Fayetteville (13) — The Pirates (2-1), coming off a winless 2012 season and a loss to Wahama in the opener, have outscored Midland Trail and Richwood 113-6 in the last two games. They'll be at Meadow Bridge on Friday.
5. Montcalm (3) — The Generals (1-2), after a lopsided win over Hundred in the opener, have lost two straight to a pair of Virginia teams — Twin Valley and Narrows. They'll host another Virginia school, Craig County, on Friday.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), J. Daniel Rollins (sports writer) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five area teams in each class based on their performances over the first three weeks and their potential the rest of the way. Teams received five points for a first-place vote, four for a second-place vote and on down to one for a fifth-place vote. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.
- High School Sports
- Scores and schedules
Greater Beckley Christian takes sectional title
All good things must come to an end.
Westside wins a classic
Many words will be used to describe Friday night’s battle for the Class AA Region 3, Section 1 championship between No. 4 Wyoming East and No. 6 Westside, but one that will be used the most is simple — classic.
Lady Spartans punch their ticket to state tournament
For 21 minutes Friday night, Greenbrier East relived last year’s nightmare, which saw the undefeated Lady Spartans, ranked No. 1 in Class AAA, fall short of the state tournament with a shocking loss to a Capital squad that was below .500 in the Region 3 co-final.
Fast start propels Valley past Wildcats
One day can sometimes make a lot of difference. A whole lot.
Bluefield rolls past PikeView, 76-52
The Region 3, Section 2 championship plaque was securely in the hands of Lykel Collier, and he was in no hurry to give it up.
- Scores and schedules
- Roundup: Greater Beckley-Tug Valley today at Beckley-Raleigh County Convention Center
Fayetteville girls headed to states; Wildcats, Greyhounds get wins
The Fayetteville girls weathered a late surge from host Sherman Wednesday to claim victory in a Class A Region 3 co-final.
- Scores and schedules
- More High School Sports Headlines