From Staff Reports
1) Oak Hill (25) — The Red Devils (7-2) erased the memories of two losses in three games with a dominating win over Woodrow Wilson. They'll end the regular season at home Friday against Greenbrier East.
T2) Princeton (17) — The Tigers (5-4) aren't going to make the playoffs, and that's good news to the other AAA teams. Few would want to face Princeton, which will end at James Monroe on Friday.
T2) Greenbrier East (17) — The Spartans (5-4) are still clinging to slim playoff hopes, and they'll need a lot of help. The first step, though, is a difficult one, picking up a win Friday at Oak Hill.
4) Woodrow Wilson (11) — The Flying Eagles (3-6) have now lost three straight and four of their last five. They'll finish off the season at home against Hedgesville on Friday.
5) Shady Spring (5) — The Tigers (1-8) have only one win, a 14-7 triumph over Independence, and have now lost five in a row. They'll finish off the year at Musselman on Friday.
1) Bluefield (25) — The Beavers (8-1) are the top-rated team in all of Class AA, and they showed why with a trouncing of James Monroe. They'll host No. 2 Wayne on Friday in an epic showdown.
2) Summers County (19) — The Bobcats (9-1) finished up the regular season with a convincing win over Richwood. They'll take this Friday off and await their playoff seeding over the weekend.
T3) Nicholas County (13) — The Grizzlies (7-2) won their fifth straight on Oct. 25, putting the hammer on River View in a 47-0 win. They'll finish the regular season by hosting Richwood on Friday.
T3) Wyoming East (13) — The Warriors (8-1) also won their fifth straight, downing Independence 42-14. They'll host Liberty Friday to end the regular season and await their playoff seeding.
5) Westside (4) — The Renegades (4-5) won't be playoff bound in Larry Cook's first season as head coach, but they can end at .500 if they can beat River View at home on Friday.
1) Greenbrier West (24) — The Cavaliers (9-1) finished the regular season with a 22-6 win over Fayetteville. Just one score away from a perfect season, they'll learn their playoff seed this weekend.
2) Valley (21) — The Greyhounds (9-0) moved one step closer to perfection with a win over Midland Trail. They can finish off an undefeated regular season by beating Gilmer County on Friday.
3) Meadow Bridge (15) — The Wildcats (8-2) finished the regular season with a shutout win over Sherman. They'll be off this week preparing for a first-round playoff game against a team to be announced.
4) Fayetteville (10) — The Pirates (3-6) put up a fight against Greenbrier West, as they have against most opponents on a difficult schedule. They'll end the season at Independence on Friday.
5) Midland Trail (5) — The Patriots (4-5) came up short at home against Valley, but they have a chance to finish at .500 if they can find a way to win at PikeView on Friday.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), J. Daniel Rollins (sports writer) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five area teams in each class based on their performances over the first 10 weeks and their potential the rest of the way. Teams received five points for a first-place vote, four for a second-place vote and on down to one for a fifth-place vote. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.