1. Greenbrier West (25) — The Cavalier defense looked special in Friday's 6-0 win for West (1-0) over Nicholas County. The offense also has some playmakers and should improve.
2. Meadow Bridge (18) — Van was no match for the Wildcats (1-0) on Friday as Meadow Bridge scored early and often in a blowout victory. They'll be at Tug Valley on Friday.
3. Valley (17) — The Greyhounds (1-0) pulled one out of the fire Friday, winning on the road at Wirt County. They've been a playoff team recently in almost every sport.
4. Montcalm (8) — The Generals (1-0) had to wait until Saturday to get their season started, but it was worth the delay as they easily cruised past Hundred to open the season with a W.
5. Richwood (5) — The Lumberjacks (1-0) went on the road to Webster County Friday and left with the Wagon Wheel Trophy. They'll be tested this week when they host Greenbrier West.
Others receiving votes: Midland Trail 2
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), J. Daniel Rollins (sports writer) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five area teams in each class based on their performances in week one and their potential the rest of the way. Teams received five points for a first-place vote, four for a second-place vote and on down to one for a fifth-place vote. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.