By Jessica Farrish
It’s the time of year when offices in the region get much more comfortable. The United Way of Southern West Virginia is kicking off the Fall 2013 Denim for a Days campaign on Oct. 21.
Here’s how it works: During the week of Oct. 21, businesses, schools and other organizations that have registered with the United Way will permit their employees to wear jeans to work.
For a $5 donation, you get one day of denim wear; $10 gets you a three-day pass; and for $15, you can wear jeans to work for the entire week.
Those dollars find their way to the United Way’s coffers to help it meet the $525,000 campaign goal to fund its 34 nonprofit community organizations supported by the United Way in Raleigh, Fayette, Summers, Nicholas and Wyoming counties.
United Way Executive Director Margaret O’Neal said food is a critical need this drive, due to natural disasters last year and the recent shut-down of the federal government.
“Our focus all this year has been food, because so much was depleted last year through the derecho and Sandy, and the food pantries are just now recuperating,” she explained. “With the government shutdown we’re in right now, I fear that food is going to be critical unless something is done quickly, because a lot of the food programs are federally funded.”
Denim for a Difference Days is being sponsored and supported by The Register-Herald, Power Country 105.9, Groovy 94.1, 103 CIR (103.7), BB&T and The United Way of Southern West Virginia.
To register, contact chairwoman Anna Lester at the United Way office at 304-253-2111 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following businesses are registered for Denim for a Day:
- City of Beckley — City Hall
- Crab Orchard Elementary
- Crescent Elementary
- Judge Hutchison’s office
- Lewis Automotive
- Raleigh County Community Action
- Shady Spring Middle School
- The Register-Herald
- Trap Hill Middle School
- City National Bank — Park Avenue Branch
- City National Bank — Beaver Branch
- City National Bank — Eisenhower Drive Branch
- City National Bank — Crossroads Mall Branch
- City National Bank — Harper Road Branch
- City National Bank — Walmart MacArthur Branch
- City National Bank — Main & Kanawha Streets Branch
- United Bank – Main Street Branch
- United Bank – Raleigh Mall Branch
- United Bank — Sophia Branch
- United Bank — Crossroads Mall Branch
- United Bank — Summersville Branch
- United Bank — Cowen Branch
- United Bank — Webster Springs Branch
- United Bank — Fayetteville Branch
- United Bank — Ansted Branch
- United Bank — Montgomery Branch
- Pat Reed Insurance
- Bank of Mt. Hope — Mt. Hope Branch
- BB&T — Oak Hill Branch
- Beckley Stratton Middle School
- Lester Elementary
- Mabscott Elementary
- Morris-Coker Inc.
- Raleigh County Emergency Services
- Stanaford Elementary
- Beckley Elementary