For The Register-Herald
Two students at Concord University collected $3,011 to help victims of domestic violence.
Pam Wallace, a sophomore elementary education major, and Jennifer Weiss, a senior sociology major, took the initiative to approach local business owners who generously donated all of the items used to create gift baskets.
People in the community, on Concord’s Athens campus, and at the Erma Byrd Higher Education Center bought tickets from the students to be entered into a drawing to win the baskets.
Due to Superstorm Sandy, the drawing was postponed until this past Wednesday. Students had collected approximately $1,200 prior to the storm. Wallace and Weiss decided not to let Sandy derail their efforts. They rescheduled the drawing and a costume contest, and ended up exceeding their goal to match the amount raised before the storm caused the many closings in the community.
Drawing winners included:
- Explore West Virginia basket, Ruth Dillon of Fairdale
- Paint the Town Red basket, Kathy Bledsoe of Coal City
- Blast from the Past basket, Dr. Alisha Anderson of Daniels
- Night at Home basket, Tara Taylor of Beckley
- Pretty in Pink basket of breast cancer awareness items, Bonnie McKinney of Beaver (items donated by Raleigh County Memorial Airport)
All proceeds from the drawing were donated to the Women’s Resource Center in Beckley. Wallace and Weiss said they hope this event helped raise the community’s awareness of the problem as well as raise money to help victims of domestic violence.