By Tina Alvey
Greenbrier County’s volunteer fire departments have announced a full schedule of informational meetings regarding the fire levy initiative that will be the subject of a special election March 2.
The levy is designed to raise $2 million a year to provide funding for the county’s 15 certified fire departments and to allow the county to hire a fire coordinator.
Meetings will be held at the following locations:
- Feb. 1, 6 p.m. — White Sulphur Springs VFD
- Feb. 5, 6-7 p.m. — Rainelle VFD
- Feb. 8, 7 p.m. — Alderson Elementary School (meeting conducted by Alderson and Tri-County VFDs)
- Feb. 9, 6 p.m. — Frankford VFD
- Feb. 18, 6 p.m. — Ronceverte VFD
- Feb. 21, 6 p.m. — Clintonville VFD
- Feb. 23, 1 p.m. — Anthony Creek VFD
In addition to the informational meetings listed above, Alderson VFD and Tri-County VFD will hold open houses at their fire stations starting at 7 p.m. Feb. 11.
In order to accommodate those who are unable to attend any of the meetings, county firefighters will also man information tables at various sites Feb. 23 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
Those sites are:
- Lewisburg — Wal-Mart
- White Sulphur Springs — Food Lion
- Alderson — IGA
-Rainelle — Kroger/Magic Mart
All interested Greenbrier County residents are encouraged to attend one of the community meetings or to ask questions of the firefighters at the information tables.
For additional information on the proposed levy, contact your local fire department or visit www. gcfera.org.