By Jessica Farrish
An electrical transformer owned by American Electric Power “blew” on Harper Road Tuesday, setting off the alarm at nearby Raleigh Medical Complex.
According to Beckley Fire Department Firefighter First Class C.K. Laws, complex administrators were testing the fire alarm system at the time the transformer overloaded on voltage.
The combination resulted in some confusion, with patients exiting the complex.
According to online resources, there are a number of reasons transformers can “blow,” including heavy rains.
The incident occurred around 4:30 p.m.