The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia

November 1, 2013

Farmland Protection Board accepting applications

— Summers County Farmland Protection Board is taking applications for conservation easements.

Applications must be in by Nov. 22 to be considered for the 2014 funding cycle.

If you previously submitted an application and were not selected for funding, a new application must be submitted. Applications can be obtained from the WVU Extension Office, located in the Memorial Building next to the courthouse in Hinton.

The goals for the West Virginia Voluntary Farmland Protection Program, both on the local and state level, are to partly offset development pressures which have led to rapid loss of farmland and open space all over the nation, to encourage the permanent protection of certain parcels of farmland, to facilitate the awarding of financial compensation for those who are willing to sell development rights on their property, and to assist  those who are willing to donate conservation easements.

To have an application mailed to you or for more information, call 304-466-7113.