Additional drop-off sites for Operation Backpack have been announced.
The program has been filling backpacks for students in need all across the county since its founding 18 years ago by Cindy Parker, who still runs the organization.
Parker’s Operation Backpack reaches students in schools all across Raleigh and Summers counties and the outskirts of Wyoming, Boone and Fayette counties.
The organization accepts new or clean, slightly used backpacks and school supplies such as notebooks, loose-leaf paper, colored markers, crayons, glue, blunt scissors, erasers, two-pocket folders, scientific calculators, and pencil boxes and pouches.
You can donate any of these school supplies to one of the current drop-off locations:
- Mabscott United Methodist Church
- The Register-Herald (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday) in Beckley
- Linda K. Epling Stadium in Beckley
- Mid-State Pre-Owned Auto at the Plaza in Beckley
- Tony’s Quality Meats behind the Raleigh Mall
- Stage Coach Salon in Sophia
- Wags & Whiskers Pet Grooming Salon in Oak Hill
- Beckley Presbyterian Church (9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Thursday)
- John W. Eye Big Sandy across from the Red Cross in Beckley
- Bodyworks in Beckley
If your company would like to become a donation site, call Mabscott United Methodist Church at 304-252-4207. Please leave a message if your call is not answered.
If you would like to make a monetary donation, please send it to P.O. Box 710, Mabscott, WV 25871. Also make all checks payable to Operation Backpack.
Parker’s goal is to fill 700 backpacks by the time school starts Aug. 17. The current total is around 300.