Raleigh County Circuit Court Judge Robert Burnside declared a mistrial Tuesday in the case of a Beckley man accused of a drive-by shooting in April 2011.
Michael Darnell Harvey, 30, is charged with five counts of wanton endangerment and one count of retaliation against a witness after the April 20, 2011 incident where he fired multiple shots on Canaday Street.
No one was injured during the shooting, but Harvey was allegedly attempting to hit a police informant who was standing in the driveway with his mother during the incident.
Three more of Harvey’s relatives were in close proximity, which created a total of five counts of wanton endangerment.
Tom Truman, Raleigh County Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, said the jury deliberated until 8 p.m. Monday and came back at 1 p.m. Tuesday.
“Burnside declared a mistrial because the jury indicated they were deadlocked and could not reach a verdict,” Truman said.
He said the case will now return to the same position it was before the trial.
Harvey was released last year after posting $50,000 bond. If convicted, he could face up to 30 years in prison.
Truman said additional court proceedings have not yet been scheduled.
— E-mail: email@example.com