The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia

Local News

February 4, 2014

Business loans for spill areas

If you’re a business owner whose business was hurt by the Elk River chemical spill, you can apply for low-interest loans to help get back on your feet. These loans come from the US Small Business Administration.

Businesses in Boone, Kanawha, Putnam, Cabell, Clay, Fayette, Jackson, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, Nicholas, Raleigh, Roane and Wyoming County can apply for these loans. Nine of those counties were the ones typically listed as affected by the spill, but an official for the USSBA says any kind of disaster can be bigger than what we think.

“If they’re listed on there it’s because they’re contiguous (or next) to the primary counties,” Public Affairs Director Michael Lampton said. “When there’s a disaster there are no lines.

“People may be living right on a county line or something like that. If that’s the situation we always include the contiguous counties and anybody who was affected in those contiguous counties are eligible to apply as well.

Lampton says any business owner who was hurt by the spill can apply.

“These loans are for economic injury losses,” he said. “If business owners had to shut their business down as a result of the chemical spill then they’re able to apply for some assistance. Applications are typically take between eight and ten days to review.”

To apply for a loan, visit You can click “Fact Sheets” at the bottom of the page then “Fact Sheet for Businesses of All Sizes” for more information, including detailed application information.

— E-mail:

Text Only
Local News