By Wendy Holdren
Summer activities and vacations are impacting blood and platelet donations, according to the American Red Cross.
Donations were down approximately 10 percent in June, resulting in about 50,000 fewer donations than expected.
Scott Hill, with the local branch of American Red Cross, has announced several upcoming dates for blood drives to help the national need.
- Today at Shady Spring Library from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Monday, July 15, at Lowe’s in Fayetteville from noon to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 16, at Plateau Medical Center from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 17, at Inez O’Brien Donor Center from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday, July 19, at Friends of Coal Auto Fair from noon to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, July 20, at Friends of Coal Auto Fair from noon to 6 p.m.
Not only donating blood but spreading the word about the need for donations this summer will help.
All blood types are needed, but especially types O negative, A negative and B negative.
For more information about the American Red Cross, visit www.redcrossblood.org, or Facebook and Twitter.
For more information about the local blood drives, contact Scott Hill at 540-580-3908.
— E-mail: email@example.com