WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS — In the early and mid-1900s, the sign on West Main Street read, “Gillespie Brothers Fine Clothiers for Men.”
Beginning this week, the sign on East Main Street in White Sulphur Springs, reads, “Gillespie Brothers Fine Antiques and Gifts Emporium” and “Gillespie Brothers Interior Design Studio.”
The new “Gillespie” shops are owned by Lee Gillespie, Lewisburg native and first marching band director at Greenbrier East High School, and his adopted brother Mark who joined Lee in the 1980s in operating Princess Interior Designs in Lewisburg.
The grand opening of the two new Main Street White Sulphur Springs shops is just one of the many events taking place Thursday as White Sulphur Springs opens the Christmas season. The Gillespie “cousins” on West Main Street are observing the 90th anniversary of Gillespie Flowers and Gifts, the oldest family-operated business in White Sulphur Springs.
Having been successful with Gillespie Brothers Fine Antiques on North Jefferson Street in Lewisburg, Lee and Mark have expanded their antique and gift business and their interior design studio in what they describe as “a roomier and more convenient, more relaxed atmosphere in the new shops in downtown White Sulphur Springs.”
Lee, a former 4-H member in the Blue Grass Boosters Club of Lewisburg, will also have copies of the newly-published “History of 4-H in Greenbrier County: 1908-2008” by long-time 4-H agent and supporter James E. Johnson Jr. of Alderson on sale in the gift shop. Proceeds will go to the Greenbrier County 4-H All Stars in support of the 4-H program in the county.
Their mother, the late Alice Gillespie of Lewisburg, was the leader of the club for many years.