1) Oak Hill (25) — The Red Devils (2-0) have impressive wins against Elkins and Musselman, both playoff teams in 2012. Jalen Jones is one of the state’s top players.
2) Princeton (20) — Winners of just two games in 2012, the Tigers (2-0) have come out strong with a thrashing of Shady Spring and a win over Class AA power Bluefield.
3) Woodrow Wilson (15) — The Flying Eagles (1-1) got back on track, knocking off rival Greenbrier East after a loss to Winfield in the opener. But the Flying Eagles have allowed 77 points in two games.
4) Greenbrier East (10) — The Spartans (1-1) have scored 82 points in two games, but they’ve allowed 72 and had nearly 250 yards in penalties in the loss to Woodrow Wilson.
5) Shady Spring (5) — The Tigers (0-2) have been outscored 108-0 in losses to Princeton and Logan. They’ll have a shot to finally put points on the board this week when they host Greenbrier East.
1) Bluefield (24) — The Beavers (1-1) have split a pair of rivalry games, beating Graham, Va., and falling to Class AAA Princeton. With D.J. Edwards in the backfield, they’re still among the elite in Class AA.
2) Wyoming East (21) — The Warriors (2-0) won a tough road game at Mingo Central to open the year and then came home and knocked off rival Westside in convincing fashion on Friday.
T3) Summers County (12) — Nate Tanner is perfect as the coach of the Bobcats (2-0), who knocked off PikeView and James Monroe in the first two weeks. They’ll be tested on the road at Grafton on Friday.
T3) Nicholas County (12) — After falling to Class A power Greenbrier West in a defensive battle to open the season, the Grizzlies (1-1) bounced back with a road win at Poca on Friday and will host East Fairmont this week.
T5) Westside (3) — Larry Cook’s Renegades (1-1) struggled against rival Wyoming East Friday after a convincing win over Liberty to open the year. They’ll host Man this week to try to get back on the winning track.
T5) River View (3) — The Raiders (2-0) jumped into the rankings after a pair of wins over Mount View and Buffalo to open the season. They’ve outscored opponents 82-16 so far this season.