From Staff Reports
1) Oak Hill (25) — An early week off did nothing to slow the Red Devils (3-0). They came out Friday and ran all over Nicholas County. Next up is a trip to Buckhannon-Upshur on Friday.
2) Woodrow Wilson (16) — The Flying Eagles (1-2) got a chance to regroup with an off week following a shutout loss to Huntington. They'll host Riverside on Friday at Van Meter Stadium.
3) Greenbrier East (15) — The Spartan offense remained hot as East (3-1) posted 55 points in a win over Parry McCluer (Va.). Bluefield will be in Fairlea Friday for a big game for both teams.
4) Princeton (14) — After a 2-0 start, the Tigers (2-2) went on the road and lost to Capital and Hurricane. They'll host Spring Valley on Friday with a chance to get back on track.
5) Shady Spring (5) — The Tigers (1-3) found their first win of 2013, knocking off Independence on the road in a rivalry game. Next up will be a trip to PikeView on Friday.
1) Bluefield (25) — The Beavers got well after an off week, rolling up 61 points in a win over Gate City (Va.). Bluefield (2-1) has scored more than 60 in both wins and will be at Greenbrier East Friday.
2) Summers County (20) — The Bobcats (4-0) picked up a huge home win, shocking many by knocking off fellow undefeated Wyoming East. They'll host Greenbrier West on Friday.
3) Wyoming East (14) — An undefeated season came to an end for the Warriors (3-1) with a loss on the road at Summers County. This week, they'll welcome Mount View to town on Friday.
4) Nicholas County (11) — So far the Grizzlies (2-2) have a couple of good wins under their belts and lost to some good teams, including Oak Hill on Friday. They'll be at Clay County this week.
5) River View (4) — The Raiders (2-1) took one on the chin, losing 46-8 to Class A Man for the season's first setback. They'll be on the road at James Monroe on Friday.
1) Greenbrier West (25) — The top-rated Class A team in the state last week, the Cavaliers (4-0) kept things rolling with a 53-12 win at Buffalo. They'll face their biggest test of the year at Summers County on Friday.
2) Meadow Bridge (20) — The Wildcats (4-0) passed a big test this week, taking out red-hot Fayetteville 26-14. They'll be at Pendleton County Friday trying to keep the perfect season alive for another week.
3) Valley (15) — The Greyhounds (3-0) ran past Clay County Friday, reaching the 40-point mark for the second game in a row. They'll be on the road against a hungry Fayetteville squad on Friday.
4) Fayetteville (10) — After a 52-6 win over Midland Trail and a 61-0 thrashing of Richwood, the Pirates (2-2) came back to earth in a 26-14 loss to Meadow Bridge. They'll host county rival Valley on Friday.
5) Midland Trail (4) — The Patriots (1-3) found their first win of 2013 Friday, holding off Richwood on the road. They'll get back on the buses again this Friday to head to Van for another important game.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), J. Daniel Rollins (sports writer) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five area teams in each class based on their performances over the first four weeks and their potential the rest of the way. Teams received five points for a first-place vote, four for a second-place vote and on down to one for a fifth-place vote. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.