1) Greenbrier West (25) — Aside from a setback to Class AA power Summers County, the Cavailers (8-1) have been unbeatable. Their regular season ends Friday against Fayetteville.
2) Valley (20) — The Greyhounds (8-0) overcame a slow start to cruise to a win over Richwood and stay undefeated. They'll put that mark on the line at Midland Trail on Friday.
3) Meadow Bridge (15) — A 66-27 thrashing of PikeView gave the Wildcats (7-2) another victory. They'll finish the regular season at home against Sherman on Friday.
4) Fayetteville (9) — The Pirates (3-5) broke a long four-game losing streak with a home win over Buffalo this week. They'll be tested again Friday at Greenbrier West.
5) Midland Trail (4) — Winners of four of their last five games, the Patriots (4-4) are back to .500. They'll look to spoil perfection this week when they hit the road to face Valley.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), J. Daniel Rollins (sports writer) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five area teams in each class based on their performances over the first nine weeks and their potential the rest of the way. Teams received five points for a first-place vote, four for a second-place vote and on down to one for a fifth-place vote. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.