1. Woodrow WIlson (23) —The Flying Eagles (6-4) finished the season with a loss at Capital. Now they'll have to wait on a possible playoff berth.
2. Oak Hill (22) — The Red Devils (6-3) could improve to 7-2 if the suspension of Elkins' wins is upheld. They appear to be in good position for a postseason spot.
3. Shady Spring (12) —The Tigers (5-4) continued to dominate Class AA opponents, beating Liberty, but they still don't have a AAA victory.
4. Greenbrier East (11) — Playing without their quarterback and top running back, the Spartans (2-7) suffered a loss to Princeton on Friday.
5. Princeton (7) — The Tigers (2-8) finished a frustrating season with a win over Greenbrier East on Friday.
1. Bluefield (25) — The Beavers (8-1) continued to roll, winning their eighth straight by dowining James Monroe. They face Class AA No. 1 Wayne on Friday.
2. Wyoming East (16) — A young group of Warriors (6-3) seems to be coming together and can clinch a good playoff spot with a win at Liberty Friday.
3. Nicholas County (15) — The Grizzlies (6-3) won their third straight Friday and will finish up the regular season at Richwood this week.
4. Summers County (13) — The Bobcats (6-3) kept their playoff hopes alive with a win over Richwood. They'll finish against Valley on Friday.
5. Westside (6) — The Renegades (5-4) still have an outside shot of making the postseason if they can knock off River View on Friday.
1. Greenbrier West (25) —The Cavaliers (9-1) finished the regular season with a win over Fayetteville. Now they'll prepare for a possible playoff run.
2. Valley (20) — The Greyhounds (8-1) are having a great year and can improve their playoff seed with a win at Summers County Friday.
3. Meadow Bridge (15) — The Wildcats (8-2) finished the regular season with a win over Sherman and will prepare for the playoffs.
4. Midland Trail (10) — The Patriots (5-4) gave Valley a tough game Friday, but they're not likely to make the postseason, even with a win over PikeView Friday.
5. Montcalm (5) — The Generals (5-4) downed Tygarts Valley on Friday. They don't have a 10th game scheduled.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), Cody Lewis (sports copy editor) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five teams in each class. Teams received five points for a first place vote, four for a second place vote and on down to one. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.
- Latest Sports
WVU women fall to Baylor in Big 12 title game
Nothing was going to stop Odyssey Sims.
AAA teams fighting to stay alive
Two of the state’s top seven Class AAA boys basketball powers will punch their tickets to the state tournament tonight, while the other two will see their seasons end.
Scrimmage games set up for this weekend
With high school basketball winding down, baseball season will be starting soon. Fans will have the chance this weekend to get a glimpse of what the season has in store.
Marshall, Florida Atlantic meet tonight in C-USA Tournament
Marshall’s only chance at finding itself in a postseason bracket will require an improbable run to the Conference USA Tournament championship and its automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
WVU men’s quality of performance was most impressive in upset win
The West Virginia University men’s basketball team’s thrill-filled 92-86 upset of nationally No. 8-ranked Kansas here last Saturday has to be one of the school’s all-time greatest triumphs.
Mountaineers a step away
Bria Holmes wasn’t herself Saturday.
WVU’s Staten an All-Big 12 first-teamer
At this time last year, many West Virginia basketball fans would have been willing to trade Juwan Staten for a middle school sixth man and a pepperoni roll.
Year of the Ice: WV Ice wins another title
Ice has dominated the winter in southern West Virginia. On Sunday, the West Virginia Ice completed its dominance of the Wendy’s/YMCA Biddy-Buddy All-Star Tournament.
Mountaineers dust Kansas
Without matching a single number on his Powerball ticket, West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins got $25,000 richer in an instant Saturday.
Greater Beckley Christian takes sectional title
All good things must come to an end.
- More Latest Sports Headlines
- WVU women fall to Baylor in Big 12 title game