From Staff Reports
1) Oak Hill (25) — The Red Devils (4-0) stayed perfect with their third road win of the season, this one at Buckhannon-Upshur. They'll put that mark on the line at Shady Spring on Friday.
2) Woodrow Wilson (20) — The Flying Eagles (2-2) got back on track following a loss to Huntington and an off week with a lopsided win over Riverside. They'll be at Cabell Midland on Friday.
3) Princeton (14) — The Tigers (2-3) lost their third straight, this one at home against Spring Valley. They'll try to get back on track when they host George Washington on Friday.
4) Greenbrier East (11) — A two-game winning streak ended for the Spartans (3-2) with a 57-18 home loss to Bluefield. They face another tough test Friday at home against University.
5) Shady Spring (5) — A week after breaking into the win column by beating Independence, the Tigers (1-4) weren't so fortunate at PikeView. They'll host Oak Hill on Friday.
1) Bluefield (24) — The Beavers (3-1) pounded Greenbrier East and have won their last two games by a combined 118-25. Up next is a home meeting with Richlands (Va.) on Friday.
2) Summers County (21) — For the second week in a row, the Bobcats (5-0) knocked off another undefeated. This time it was Greenbrier West. They'll be at Covington (Va.) Friday.
3) Wyoming East (12) — The Warriors (4-1) rebounded from their first loss by beating Mount View 48-22. They'll be at River View on Friday looking for their fifth win of the season.
T3) Nicholas County (12) — The Grizzlies (3-2) were impressive in a blowout win over Clay County on Friday. They'll host Robert C. Byrd in a big game Friday in Summersville.
5) River View (3) — A nailbiting win over James Monroe improved the Raiders (3-1) confidence. They'll face perhaps their toughest test of the season on Friday when they host Wyoming East.
1) Greenbrier West (25) — The Cavaliers (4-1) suffered their first loss at Summers County, but they were in a battle with the Class AA power. This week West will be at PikeView on Friday.
2) Meadow Bridge (20) — A perfect season remained alive for the Wildcats (5-0) with a win at Pendleton County. Up next is a battle of undefeated teams when they play at Valley on Friday.
3) Valley (15) — The Greyhounds (4-0) held off a solid threat from Fayetteville to stay undefeated, but they'll need to bring their best again on Friday when Meadow Bridge comes to town.
4) Fayetteville (9) — A two-game losing streak has the Pirates (2-3) back below .500 but they've played some good teams. They'll see another one on Friday when they host Man.
5) Midland Trail (6) — The Patriots (2-3) have won two straight, including a 33-13 win over Van most recently. Trail will take this week off before hosting Clay County on Friday.
About the poll: Our panel of five voters — Cam Huffman (sports editor), Gary Fauber (assistant sports editor), Dan Stillwell (sports writer), J. Daniel Rollins (sports writer) and Rusty Udy (sports clerk) — ranked the top five area teams in each class based on their performances over the first five weeks and their potential the rest of the way. Teams received five points for a first-place vote, four for a second-place vote and on down to one for a fifth-place vote. The vote totals are listed in parentheses.