The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia

Latest News

October 5, 2011

Lawsuit filed on behalf of alleged rape victim

A number of school officials at the former Mount Hope High School are facing a civil suit claiming that their negligent supervision and failure to provide a safe school environment directly resulted in the rape and assault of a female student by several male students in the fall of 2010.

Lawyers representing the young woman and her family filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court late last week against school personnel, Mount Hope High School, the Fayette County Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education. Principal Mike Hutchins, Vice Principal Leah Hutchins, as well as coaches Bo Morrison and Linda Nevi, are named as individual defendants.

Previously, the Fayette County Prosecutor’s Office decided not to file criminal charges against the alleged rapists based on what they say was a lack of evidence.

The lawsuit states that after learning of the alleged rape, school officials took no action to address the incident, protect the student or prevent any similar future incidents from occurring. The young woman says because of this she faced a hostile school environment and was forced to transfer to another school district.

The lawsuit alleges that on the afternoon of Nov. 12, 2010, the alleged victim, a 13-year-old cheerleader with the initials “B.E.,” stayed after school to pick up her team’s uniforms from the coach and subsequently missed her bus. Not having a cell phone, she asked workers in the school’s office for use of a phone to call her parents for a ride.

She was allegedly denied use of the phone, according to the suit, and returned to the school gym where she borrowed the cell phone of another student. She then called her parents and told them she would be getting a ride with the student when he was finished with basketball practice.

The lawsuit states that she tried to wait in the office, but it was locked. It alleges that the basketball coach told her she could not wait in the gym.

She then went outside to wait, the lawsuit states, where she was confronted by some male student athletes and forced by them into “a room commonly used by students at Mount Hope High School to engage in sexual acts.” It states that she was then raped and physically and sexually assaulted by the boys, in the presence of another female student.

The lawsuit states that the boys had previously “exhibited and engaged in predatory and sexual behavior towards women in general and female students in particular,” and that school officials were aware of the misconduct and did nothing.

But Fayette County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Matthew England says he was “taken aback” by what he has learned so far of the lawsuit’s presentation of the facts.

Namely, he says that when he interviewed the young woman in January 2011, she recanted her allegations of being abducted and vaginally raped, claiming only that she was pressured into oral sex.

England also says that some of the details currently emerging — the young woman’s lack of a cell phone or the reasons for her staying after school — do not agree with what was told to him and law enforcement previously. 

England says his office waited two months after the incident to interview the alleged victim because they were waiting on the results of forensic lab tests, which he says provided no DNA evidence of a rape. A medical exam, he says, did show signs of trauma.

“I waited until I had all the evidence in. Then when I reviewed the whole file, there were inconsistencies,” he says.

He says these include a lack of corroboration between the stories of the alleged victim and the other female student who was present, as well as video surveillance footage that showed the girl apparently willfully walking into the room where she claims she was raped. England says she had reported being abducted by the males and forced into the room.

England says it was at a meeting to discuss the case and the specific inconsistencies that the young woman recanted the intercourse and dismissed the vaginal trauma as being due to an unrelated incident.

The young woman’s lawyers told The Charleston Gazette that she never recanted her original allegations and that evidence of the sexual assault does exist.

England says he did not file charges against the young woman for filing a false police report because he thought there could have been “outside pressures” that caused her to recant her previous statement. He says he waited a few days to close the case, giving the girl time to return to her original statement if she chose.

“It has been really difficult to determine what exactly happened,” says England. “There were just so many inconsistencies and then with the victim recanting the significant portion of what she initially told law enforcement, it just left us with insufficient evidence to go forward.”

He emphasized that his office is “very disappointed” that they couldn’t bring the case forward and that instances such as this are rare.

“We are in the business of taking cases to court and we aggressively seek justice,” he says.

The filing cites Title IX of U.S. code, which protects people from sexual discrimination in educational programs. The plaintiffs are seeking damages and the implementation of “policies and procedures to protect students like the plaintiff from student-on-student rape and sexual assault or harassment.”

Mount Hope High School was forced to close this year due to consistent underperformance; its students now attend Oak Hill High School.

A spokesperson from the West Virginia Department of Education had no comment at this time. The plaintiff’s lawyers did not return calls for comment.

— E-mail: cmoore@register-herald.com

1
Text Only
Latest News
  • twv twins One Hatfield, two actors

    If you shake hands with the cast and crew at Theatre West Virginia after the show, don’t worry if you think you’re seeing double.
    Jacob and James Cline, 12-year-old twins, are a part of the team this year, assisting  with props and portraying Little Troy Hatfield.

    July 25, 2014 1 Photo

  • Construction begins on Meadow River Rail Trail

    Construction has finally begun on the Meadow River Rail Trail, a recreation project undertaken in a unique partnership between Greenbrier and Fayette counties.

    July 25, 2014

  • AARP reps talk future of Social Security

    The future of Social Security was on the menu at a listening session staged Thursday by AARP West Virginia at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine.

    July 25, 2014

  • Juvenile petitions sought against teens in Mount Hope B&Es

    The Fayette County Sheriff’s Department is filing juvenile petitions against two Page-area teens after two businesses in the Mount Hope area were broken into early Thursday.

    July 25, 2014

  • US issues 186 mining citations in June

    The Mine Safety and Health Administration says inspectors issued 186 citations at 13 U.S. mining operations in June.

    July 24, 2014

  • Lawsuit filed after Dirty Girl Run canceled

    A lawsuit has been filed against the producers of a run that was canceled in Charleston in which participants were told they wouldn't be issued refunds.

    July 24, 2014

  • Juveniles caught after breaking and entering in Fayette

    The Fayette County Sheriff’s Department is filing juvenile petitions against two teens from the Page area after two businesses in the Mount Hope area were broken into.

    July 24, 2014

  • Saints arrive 1 Saints march into ‘Almost Heaven, W.Va.’

    At 3:54 p.m. Wednesday afternoon the New Orleans Saints’ chartered flight touched the ground at the Greenbrier Valley Airport, and Greenbrier County officially became “Who Dat?” Country. INCLUDES TOUT VIDEO.

    July 24, 2014 3 Photos

  • Broadband panel eyes access to rural areas

    The West Virginia Broadband Deployment Council met far outside its typical Charleston venue Wednesday to hear issues about Internet speeds in some of the state’s most rural regions.

    July 24, 2014

  • Lewisburg official says fuel spill contained, drinking water safe

    Lewisburg’s public works director is confident that a Tuesday afternoon fuel spill 60 miles upriver from the city water system’s intake has been contained and the water is safe to drink.

    July 24, 2014