Beckley Area Foundation’s Board of Directors recently approved the 2013-2014 Students First Mini Grant Committee’s recommendations.
Chaired by Dan Doman, this committee comprised of educators and community volunteers reviewed 46 applications to determine those educational projects that demonstrated innovation and educational merit.
Twenty-seven award checks were presented to Raleigh County educators during a BAF-hosted reception at the Youth Museum of Southern West Virginia. BAF and the Carter Family Foundation combined resources to issue these grants totaling $9,910. During the 17 years of this program $155,827.82 has been awarded to support classroom teachers and their students.
Elementary school recipients and projects include:
- Sarah Toney, Bradley Elementary Ready or Not, Here I Grow!
- Michelle Levin, Stanaford Elementary, Thinking on My Own Activity Bins
- Julie Midkiff, Bradley Elementary, Appalachian Art Connections: Comparing European & Mediterranean Art to the Appalachian Arts & Crafts Tradition
- Allison Shriver, Bradley/Hollywood, Teaching Math with a Twist and Hands-on Geologists
- J.J. Tabor, Park Middle School, Hey Batter, Batter … Swing
- Cindy Poling, Bradley Elementary, Lights! Camera! Fairy Tales!
- Melissa Edwards, Cranberry-Prosperity, Boomwhack Attack
- Nelle Combs, Bradley Elementary, Building Better Readers with Readers’ Theater
- Juliana Huff, Bradley Elementary, Novel Learning
- Tammy Acord, Bradley Elementary, Picture This - What’s in a Name?
- Nancy Harrison Belinda Davis, Fairdale Elementary, Visit Your Appalachian Pioneering Heritage
- Juliana Huff, Beth Nixon, Wendy Amy, Allison Shriver, Bradley Elementary, Discovery Through Landform Studies
- Windi Cadle, Beckley Elementary, Pre-K Masterpieces
- Jane Sutphin, Crescent Elementary, Getting Fit with Fun
- Jada Bradley, Beckley Elementary, Explorers in Action
- Elizabeth Raney, Hollywood Elementary, Boats Float
- Beth Nixon, Bradley Elementary, Exploring America’s Past
Middle and high school recipients and projects include:
- Victoria McInturff, Beckley Stratton Middle School, Storytelling Totems
- Rebecca L. Rector, Woodrow Wilson High School, iNeed2Read!
- Amanda Daniels, Woodrow Wilson High School, CrossFit Kids
- Debra Daniels Adkins, WWHS National Honor Society for K-5th grade, Bullying Awareness Campaign
- Eugenia Sever, Independence High School, Making Music with the iPad
- Kristy Roberson, Beckley Stratton Middle School, Let’s Get Comfortable with Reading
- Tammy Pritchard, Liberty High School, DRD - Digital Resource Database
- Everett Jeremy Rodriguez, Liberty High School, Ulster-Scots Drum & Pipe Corps; and Linda Shirley, Woodrow Wilson High School, Parenting.
“Creativity, dedication, diligence, and resources working in tandem are at the heart of the Students First Mini Grant program. BAF looks forward to receiving more applications next year from educators teaching at all grade levels. As a community foundation, BAF believes in investing in the future, and this program invests in one of our greatest resources for a positive and productive future — our children,” commented Doman.