1. Leave your cell phone in the car.
2. Don’t worry if you shaved your legs or not. “Don’t waste your energy worrying about those things,” says Moore. “I don’t care if your legs are prickly or if you just worked out and are sweaty.”
3. Relax about modesty — you will be properly covered. Those uncomfortable forsaking clothing for the massage blankets or coverings provided can wear underwear… or for guys, gym shorts. The key is to balance comfort with access for the therapist to access your neck, back, arms, legs and feet. Therapists will uncover each area as they manipulate, and will cover again when they move to focus on another area.
4. Don’t have an entirely full stomach, which will reduce the risk for discomfort, especially when lying on your stomach.
5. Water, water, water, says Fischer. “You will benefit so much more from your massage experience if you are properly hydrated.” In addition to keeping skin supple, water before and after a massage will also help to flush out the toxins released into the bloodstream from the manipulated muscles.
6. Don’t plan a massage on your lunch break or on a hectic day — for the maximum benefits of a relaxation experience, take the whole day off or plan a low-key activity to ease the transition from massage back into your regular day.
For more information or to schedule a massage or couples massage, contact Essential Spa at 304-890-1201 or visit beckleymassage.com .