— E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Five surefire ways to lose
1. Panic: “If you get your summons by e-mail, it’s probably spam,” says Gilbert, noting that you know you’re
being sued when you receive a
summons in the mail.
2. Procrastinate: Not documenting your case particulars in detail and waiting until the last minute to contact an
attorney will quickly cause cases to crumble.
3. Fly solo: The only thing to love about representing yourself in a legal matter, especially a family law matter, is if you’re the opposing attorney.
Self-surgery is not a good idea —
neither is self-representation.
4. Rant on social media: “I’ve won
cases based solely on social media … and I’ve lost cases based on the same,” Kirby admits. Settling scores on Facebook may feel good for a fleeting second, but it may well shut you out of winning a case.
5. Wear attention-getting attire: First impressions are lasting impressions, and ripped jeans translate differently in a court setting than they do at the mall. “The more respect and reverence you can show a judge, the better your case will go,” suggests Gilbert.
For more information, visit: kgalawwv.com