- Montcoal Mine Disaster
- Manchin recalls ‘unbreakable courage’ of UBB families
Massey idling underground mines
As West Virginia turns its collective attention to the 29 miners victimized in a horrific explosion a year ago today at a Raleigh County, the mine’s parent owner is temporarily idling 92 underground operations.
Deadly explosion makes big industry change
When 29 men perished in a single, powerful explosion at the Upper Big Branch mine a year ago, the tragedy stunned the nation — but the aftermath was stunning too, both for its seismic impact on major players in the coal industry and for the absence of any sweeping reforms.
- UBB victim’s fiancée, a fellow miner, reflects on explosion’s aftermath
- Rahall took charge as public official early on at mine disaster
- Love 9 miles underground: Female UBB miner treasures fiancé
- Pettus church recalls creating refuge for UBB community
- Disaster tested Whitesville VFD’s emergency responders
- Family, friends of UBB survivor helped feed rescue workers
- Mountaineer climbs Kilimanjaro to pay tribute to 29
- More Montcoal Mine Disaster Headlines