- Montcoal Mine Disaster
Families haunted by tragic blast
“It was a hard week,” was the phrase repeated by family members of the 29 miners who lost their lives on April 5, 2010, during the Upper Big Branch Mine tragedy.
Community gathers to remember, honor coal mine disaster victims
Many arrived in black T-shirts bearing the names of all 29.
For some, the attire of the day was accented by stripes of varying hues, resembling the safety patches worn by the underground coal miner.
- SLIDESHOW of the UBB memorial services
Upper Big Branch mine disaster
Information and stories on the Upper Big Branch mine disaster, including special stories about the one-year anniversary of the tragedy. The section contains a look at what happened then and what is happening now.
- Tragedy in the Coalfields
Less than six months after a deadly explosion ripped through the Upper Big Branch mine, killing 29 workers, a federal agency found dangerous conditions inside another Massey Energy installation not far away.
Events are scheduled for today
On the first anniversary of the Upper Big Branch mine disaster, many are expected to stop and share a moment of silence today in respect for the 29 miners who died and two injured and to honor the first responders, mine rescue teams, family members and friends left to mourn.
- Beckley artist paints April 5, 2010, to laud miners
- Students filled UBB memorial, rallied together through disaster
- All seemed right with the world before disaster struck
- More Montcoal Mine Disaster Headlines
- Families haunted by tragic blast